$BTC 24 Hour High $50,218
$BTC 24 Hour Low $45,728
$BTC -6.8% past 24 hours; -5.4% past 7 days
$BTC and $ETH sink again ahead of Fed Reserve meeting
Good morning. The digital assets saw a sea of red as investor jitters grew over the upcoming U.S. Federal’s decision on rising interest rates and slowing bond purchases. $BTC dropped by over 7%, the biggest daily percentage drop since the December 4 plunge.
Based on on-chain analysis, expect $BTC and $ETH to go through a period of consolidation driven by record low reserves on exchanges and ATH hash rates. Bearish sentiment shown by these indicators suggesting a sell-off may continue, but the bear market hasn’t arrived yet. Given low funding rates, it’s highly unlikely that forced liquidations dominated the selling pressure.
$BTC failed to hold $50K and dropped below support at $47.5K (200-Day MA) and the 50-Week MA was below $46.5K as well. Despite $BTC’s aggressive move lower on intraday basis, it seems to be a conscious sell-off instead of forced liquidations, given low funding rates in either direction. $BTC pullback to the USD Index (DXY) has become less negative, and less positive to major equity markets — suggesting that traditional markets and the digital asset markets are decoupling once again. Keep an eye on the RSI and a cross of the two EMAs on the MACD indicator for signals that a rebound may be around the corner. Considering today’s plunge, these buy signals may take a few days to develop.
$ETH broke its resilience and fell sharply to retest the upward-trending support line at $3,880 while moving into the lower part of its trading channel. The 111-Day MA failed to hold as well, meaning we look towards $3,500 as the next main support area, followed by $3,200. Nevertheless, the price consolidation will set us up for a next move higher.
For the first time, banking titans HSBC and Wells Fargo leveraged blockchain to complete cross-border fiat settlements in USD/CAD/GBP/EUR on Monday. They opted to use a shared settlement ledger platform running on Baton System’ Core-FX, and this allows for 24/7 settlement without cut-off timing restrictions, agreed upon settlement frequencies throughout the day and the settlement process can be completed in three minutes. This marks a milestone for the banking industry to embrace blockchain for settlements.
Learn more from today’s Trader View video.
Digital assets market:
- Total crypto market capitalization stands at $2.24T, -7.7% from yesterday
- $BTC is -0.42% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: $126.96M, -0.00523% average
- $ETH is -0.26% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: $147.93M, -0.00505% average
- Stablecoins market dominance: USDT 48.23%; USDC 25.88%; BUSD 8.60%; DAI 5.53%
Alts and DeFi watch:
- DeFi TVL: $96.97B
- $SOL -10.5% in the last 24 hours, -20.8% in the past week
- $SHIB -10.3% in the last 24 hours, -9.3% in the past week
- $SAND -13.1% in the last 24 hours, -11.7% in the past week
- $ENJ -14.5% in the last 24 hours, -14.5% in the past week
More news that caught our eye:
- Bank of England calls for global tightening of crypto regulation
- 90% of BTC’s supply has been mined and 4 other crypto updates you should know
- Elon Musk days DOGE Is better suited for transactions than BTC as Time Magazine names him Person of the Year
- Fat Fingers: a Bored Ape NFT was sold for $3K instead of $300K
- Small ETH investors increase exposure as $ETH loses $4K level
- Hacker steals $140M from POLY gaming platform, NFT marketplace Vulcan Forged
- Twitch co-founder Justin Kan to launch a gaming NFT marketplace Fractal
OSL Trader View is contributed by Stefan von Haenisch & Ethan Fu.
OSL is Asia’s most comprehensive digital asset platform providing brokerage, exchange, software-as-a-service and insured custody solutions to professional investors.
Home to one of the world’s largest and most experienced digital asset trading desks, OSL has its finger on the pulse of the market. The Trader View newsletter is a short, easily digested summary of market activity and eye-catching news of the day.
Feedback is important to us, and we’re keen to learn more about the types of insights and intelligence that matter to you most. Please share your thoughts with us.
Please refer to OSL’s relevant disclaimers and disclosures associated with this note, including restrictions on redistribution.