$BTC 24 Hour High $41,486 / Low $40,571 | $BTC -0.3% Past 24 hours; +3.6% Past 7 days
Good morning and happy Friday. Following a rebound of the equity markets, $BTC stabilized above $40,000 while altcoins took the lead. The No. 1 digital asset has traded within a tight corridor between $32,000 and $43,300 since January 2021, seeing a 10% loss in price this year so far. The weekly 200 MA has provided considerably strong support since 2017, and prices are stabilized in the $30,000-$40,000 area, suggesting $30,000 could be the bear market’s bottom. Despite strong support at the $40,000 area, $BTC is struggling to break the $40,800 threshold (0.618 Fibonacci retracement level). To confirm a break of the downtrend, we need to cross the next upside hurdle at $42,500, with a further breakthrough into the upside.
$ETH rallied in the past 24 hours and finally breached $2,800, which demonstrated significant resistance in the past. While $ETH’s mid-term trend since November 2021 remains bearish, the bulls will need to push the prices higher to cross $3,100 before an upside breakthrough is confirmed. Besides, based on the historical data in 2017, 2018 and March 2021, when $ETH breaks off from $BTC, we might see the start of another bull market. Let’s see if $ETH can break the trendline as it is premature to conclude that $ETH’s current outperformance of $BTC may result in the next leg-up.
Famed founder of Terraform labs, Do Kwon announced plans to accumulate up to $10B worth of BTC to bolster the project’s (Terra) stablecoin reserves. Terra’s stablecoin UST is a Proof of Stake blockchain with LUNA its deflationary native token acting as a counterbalance to keep UST’s price stable. The BTC reserves will be used to “backstop short-term UST redemption and for a decentralized forex reserve”. No timeline has been provided on the reserve build-up, but any near-term spikes could potentially be attributed to this buying exercise.
Learn more from today’s Trader View video.
Digital Assets Market
- Total crypto market capitalization stands at $1.91T, +0.3% from yesterday
- $BTC is -0.3% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: 17.50M, -0.00987% average
- $ETH is -0.5% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: 21.82M, -0.01118% average
- Stablecoins market dominance: USDT 43.14%; USDC 28.41%; BUSD 9.54%; UST 8.17%; DAI 5.06%
Alts and DeFi watch:
- DeFi TVL: $206.31B (+0.0% over last 24h)
- $SOL +0.3% in the last 24 hours, +5.4% in the past week
- $SHIB -2.2% in the last 24 hours, -2.3% in the past week
- $SAND -3.0% in the last 24 hours, +12.8% in the past week
- $ENJ -1.5% in the last 24 hours, +5.1% in the past week
More news that caught our eye:
- Senator Elizabeth Warren introduces a game-changing crypto bill
- Pantera Capital CEO bets on BTC amid Fed induced bubbles
- ApeCoin: What is the Bored Ape ETH token and who gets It?
- NFT weekly sales volume improves, jumping 17% higher than the week prior
- $DOGE falls as India’s central bank bans cryptos
- $BTC threatens $38K as 3-day chart hints at March 2020 COVID-19 crash repeat
OSL Trader View is contributed by Terrance Leung, Andrea Au & Ethan Fu.
OSL is Asia’s most comprehensive digital asset platform providing brokerage, exchange, software-as-a-service and insured custody solutions to professional investors.
Home to one of the world’s largest and most experienced digital asset trading desks, OSL has its finger on the pulse of the market. The Trader View newsletter is a short, easily digested summary of market activity and eye-catching news of the day.
Feedback is important to us, and we’re keen to learn more about the types of insights and intelligence that matter to you most. Please share your thoughts with us.
Please refer to OSL’s relevant disclaimers and disclosures associated with this note, including restrictions on redistribution.