$BTC 24 Hour High $39,855 / Low $34,334 | $BTC +4.5% Past 24 hours; -5.1% Past 7 days
Crypto rallies overnight as fundamental news forgotten
Good morning and happy Friday. $BTC saw sharp price swings in the past 24 hours but eventually stabilized above the $38,000 levels amid recovery of the stock markets. $300 million worth of short positions got liquidated within the same time frame, the biggest liquidation since early December 2021. If $BTC and $ETH stay at current levels, most put options expiring today will be out of money.
After retracing throughout the day, $BTC eventually found support at $34,620, the 1.618 Fibonacci retracement extension from the impulsive move lower started on February 23. Since then, $BTC aggressively rallied to the short-term resistance at $39,700, and is currently settling at $38,350. We can see how important is the 0.618 Fibonacci retracement level acting as the resistance when we look at the Fibonacci retracement levels between the January 14-high and January 24-low. In our opinion, $36,240 should be able to hold as support in the short term. Should this fail, the larger downtrend that has been in play for the last three months is likely to continue. Once we breach the first resistance level at $39,500, we will set our eyes on the next target at $43,000.
$ETH is licking its wounds after plunging to $2,320 overnight. We saw strong resistance at $2,770, with support at yesterday’s daily low at $2,320. We noted how the digital asset markets were diminishing, and there is no easier way to see this by looking at equity futures. While Nasdaq and S&P futures are trading at 9-month lows, crypto, in general, is still above the lows we saw a month ago. Our desk is keeping a neutral view over the weekend, and the markets should turn more bullish once we clear the resistance at $2,770.
Layer-1 coins led the price recovery overnight, with fears of ongoing Russia-Ukraine tensions seemingly abating. Western allies plus Japan joined hands and announced stronger sanctions against Russian banks and their political leaders. The latest geopolitical developments have been interpreted by the financial markets at this point as less concerning, with equity indexes up 0.3-3% across the board and Nasdaq showing the biggest positive change at 3.3%. This buoyed the digital asset market as its fortunes have been recently tied to the rise and fall of technology stock prices.
Digital assets market:
- Total crypto market capitalization stands at $1.79T, +0.6% from yesterday
- $BTC is +0.28% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: $258.82M, +0.00876% average
- $ETH is +0.90% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: $208.48M, +0.00190% average
- Stablecoins market dominance: USDT 43.49%; USDC 29.03%; BUSD 10.14%; TerraUSD 6.82%; DAI 5.09%
Alts and DeFi watch:
- DeFi TVL: $184.39 (-5.76% over last 24h)
- $SOL +4.1% in the last 24 hours, -3.5% in the past week
- $SHIB +1.3% in the last 24 hours, -18.0% in the past week
- $SAND -7.3% in the last 24 hours, -31.4% in the past week
- $ENJ -1.5% in the last 24 hours, -20.8% in the past week
More news that caught our eye:
- Ukraine military group receives $400K in BTC donations in one day: Report
- Tether is trading at a premium in Ukraine markets
- China’s BTC crackdown strengthens with potential fines, jail sentences
- Bloomberg strategist: This is the defining moment to buy BTC
- Crypto index provider Vinter enlisted to price digital asset derivatives
- BitMex founders plead guilty to violating bank secrecy act
- $BTC quietly printing bullish reversal pattern amid market fear, analyst Justin Bennett says
- NFT sales and floor prices slump amid broader crypto market decline
- Brazil: Top 10 people in crypto and blockchain
OSL Trader View is contributed by Stefan von Haenisch & Ethan Fu.
OSL is Asia’s most comprehensive digital asset platform providing brokerage, exchange, software-as-a-service and insured custody solutions to professional investors.
Home to one of the world’s largest and most experienced digital asset trading desks, OSL has its finger on the pulse of the market. The Trader View newsletter is a short, easily digested summary of market activity and eye-catching news of the day.
Feedback is important to us, and we’re keen to learn more about the types of insights and intelligence that matter to you most. Please share your thoughts with us.
And be sure not to miss future OSL news and insights by following us on Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, and Telegram.
Please refer to OSL’s relevant disclaimer and disclosures associated with this note, including restrictions on redistribution.