$BTC 24 Hour High $41,280 / Low $38,534 | $BTC +3.2% Past 24 hours; +3.5% Past 7 days
Good morning. Over the last 24 hours, major digital assets traded sidelines with muted volumes due to tax-related selling pressure, growing regulatory concerns, and geopolitical conflicts in Ukraine. Sidelines trading could remain as these uncertainties continue to linger. We might see a short-term rally in major cryptos, but it’s unlikely to be unsustainable. Meanwhile, Terra’s UST flipped BUSD to become the third-largest stablecoin in the world.
Yesterday, $BTC dropped to a five-week low below $38,000 briefly before closing in the green at $40,800 after an aggressive rally. If the bulls can persistently push the prices up, $BTC may test $41,600. However, we will likely encounter resistance at the 111D MA, so $42,500 is probably the highest point that the current bullish price action can $BTC hit in the near term.
In our opinion, a sustained rally at this stage seems unlikely as the trading range of the No. 1 digital asset lies between $41,600 and $39,300. Market views remain neutral, with longs and shorts equally leveraged, as shown by the neutral funding rates across major retail crypto exchanges. $BTC has also received some price support from the equity markets, which started the week on a stronger footing. Another positive sign to keep an eye on is the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) share discount rate. The discount rate has been decreasing steadily since mid-March, implying that institutional demand is returning for this product.
$ETH pared losses as well, dipping below $3,000. The funding rates remain firmly negative, and the current market is much more aggressive among shorts. There is a likelihood for $ETH to chart higher to retest $3,275 in the short term, but we would expect to run out of steam here before a trend reversal takes place. Instead, the No. 2 digital asset may grind lower towards $2,621 over the coming month. Yet, we can dismiss this thesis altogether should $ETH push higher towards the local top from April 4 at $3,580.
Yearn.Finance founder and former FTM solutions architect Andre Cronje called for regulation over the DeFi ecosystem. His latest essay on social media talks about two opposites – the crypto ethos concept is all about self-custody, self-sovereignty, and self-empowerment. The other opposite is that crypto culture hinges upon entitlement, enrichment, wealth, and ego. He believed this culture was strangling the ethos and called for a start of a new chapter for digital assets and blockchain to be driven by trust instead of trustlessness.
Learn more from today’s Trader View video.
Digital Assets Market
- Total crypto market capitalization stands at $1.99T, +0.8% from yesterday
- $BTC is +0.04% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: 97.67M, +0.00189% average
- $ETH is +0.59% at time of writing; 24H liquidations and funding rates: 69.53M, +0.00944% average
- Stablecoins market dominance: USDT 44.30%; USDC 26.68%; UST 9.43%; BUSD 9.30%; DAI 4.67%
Alts and DeFi watch:
- DeFi TVL: $212.47B (+0.32% over last 24h)
- $SOL +2.2% in the last 24 hours, +3.6% in the past week
- $SHIB +2.2% in the last 24 hours, +14.6% in the past week
- $SAND +2.7% in the last 24 hours, +3.3% in the past week
- $ENJ +2.4% in the last 24 hours, -2.6% in the past week
More news that caught our eye:
- Crypto execs ‘read the tea leaves’ on spot BTC ETF approval
- Crypto correlations curbing inflation hedge claims
- North Korean hackers responsible for last month’s Ronin theft, FBI confirms
- MetaMask issues warning following $650K iCloud phishing scam
- What would deglobalization mean for $BTC?
- Amazon CEO: Not close to adding crypto as payment
OSL Trader View is contributed by Hans-Stefan Vonhaenisch & Ethan Fu.
OSL is Asia’s most comprehensive digital asset platform providing brokerage, exchange, software-as-a-service and insured custody solutions to professional investors.
Home to one of the world’s largest and most experienced digital asset trading desks, OSL has its finger on the pulse of the market. The Trader View newsletter is a short, easily digested summary of market activity and eye-catching news of the day.
Feedback is important to us, and we’re keen to learn more about the types of insights and intelligence that matter to you most. Please share your thoughts with us.
Please refer to OSL’s relevant disclaimers and disclosures associated with this note, including restrictions on redistribution.